The Fishing Harbour offers a tackle wharf, an unloading wharf, a slipway and several land facilities. It is formed by an inner basin sheltered by a breakwater which offers good protection for docking and anchoring fishing boats.
+351 269 860 612
MUSEUM OF SINES / HOUSE OF VASCO DA GAMA
The Museum of Sines, inaugurated on November 24, 2008, is the center hub of the history of Sines and the sea navigator Vasco da Gama. From the Paleolithic to the twentieth century, it contains artefacts from all the periods of history of Sines. It regularly organizes exhibitions and projects on specific topics.
Castelo de Sines
Largo Poeta Bocage
+351 269 632 237
HISTORICAL CENTER OF SINES
The historic center of the city extends along the cliff, from the Castle to the Revelim Fortress. In addition to the magnificent views of the Atlantic that can be found in all of its extension, it stands out, among the points of interest, for the commercial streets, around the old medieval axes (Ruas Cândido dos Reis and Teófilo Braga), Largo dos Penedos with the old watchtower, where fishermen watched the state of the sea. At the historical center footsteps, since 2005, the Center of Arts of Sines, makes the transition to the modern city, contrasting the historic architecture with the new.
CASTLE OF SINES
The Castle of Sines is a medieval fortress that has had successive occupations since the Paleolithic, of great defensive utility and, today, one of the best belvederes for the bay.
The castle is built during the first half of the 15th century. Its area is relatively small, half an hectare, which can be justified by the fact that by the time the castle was built the village occupied an area too large to be completely surrounded.
PORTO COVO HISTORICAL CENTER
The Largo Marquês de Pombal, heart of Porto Covo, and all the old area that surrounds it is one of the marvels of Portuguese Enlightenment architecture. The plant, probably from 1789-1794, was inspired by the Pombaline model of downtown Lisbon. Keeping the nineteenth century perfectly intact, the wide is an absolutely obligatory visit space. It is located in the wide the main monument of the village, the Church of Porto Covo.
CHURCH OF SÃO SALVADOR
The primitive construction of the Mother Church dates back to the Middle Ages. It was in her that Vasco da Gama received from the hands of the bishop of Safim, in 1480, the "raw tonsure".
In the early eighteenth century, the church is already small for the number of believers who want to attend Mass. With the authorization of the Order of Santiago, it was deeply remodeled in the 30's of that century (under the probable guidance of João Antunes, architect of the Conscience and Orders Bureau, or his collaborator), gaining the current aspect typical of the Baroque Johannine.
CHURCH OF NOSSA SENHORA DAS SALAS
In thanksgiving for a supposed miracle on the boat trip that brought her to Portugal (where she was to be the maid of honor of the future queen D. Isabel), the Greek princess Betaça (or Vetaça) Lescaris ordered the construction of the Nossa Senhora das Salas in her honor on the lade thirteen-fourteen century. The primitive church is a modest building, with only one nave, but a destination of pilgrimage and devotion. For the success of the trip to India, Vasco da Gama decided to rebuild the root building, giving it a larger scale.
SINES – SUSTAINABLE INDUSTRIAL TOURISM
Visit the Sines industrial complex through this project that allows the scheduling of visits to major industrial companies such as Galp Refinery, APS, EDP, REN, Docapesca, Recipneu and Enerfuel.
Learn more at: www.sines-tis.com